The Sands of Time Wait for No Man

Monday, October 31, 2005

Beep Beep!!!

Remember how our teachers in primary school used to tell us to hold our hand up when using the zebra crossing? It's how i do it when I cross the road here..... but I don't hold it straight up of course.... That would be too embarrassing! Just at the waist level so that (1) to show the drivers that I'm crossing and (2) in case a bike decides to knock me down, I can block or push it back a little! I learnt that the trick to crossing is not to wait for the vehicles to give way. It is to just 'cheong' across the road, albeit at a slower speed. The motorcycles would just weave their way around me. Over here, the faster vehicles drive on the left lane while the slower motorbikes and bicycles ride on the right! Oh, did I mention that I hear about 1 beep every second? It's really crazy here!

Had my first experience riding on the motorbike too! It was bumpy and fun! I even rode it when it was fully laden with my groceries.... The plastic bags were hanging out from the bike and I had to hug my bag and other groceries, and at the same time hang on tight to my friend's shoulders! Don't know why, but when I got off the bike, I had a backache.... Perhaps I was too tense when riding!

Here's a look at the roads of Vietnam, courtesy of Linffy. As she aptly puts it, the streets are a scene of systematic chaos!
http://media.putfile.com/survive-saigon-short-movie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home