The Sands of Time Wait for No Man

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Aesthetics Day

It was Aesthetics Day and I was to go out with my students for a SoMA workshop. No idea what SoMA stood for until I was there. SoMA - School of Music and the Arts. We were herded into a recording studio like room to wait for the instructor. I was so worried that the kids would ruin the expensive equipment inside, so I took photos to keep them occupied.


At first I though we were there for a song-writing workshop, but this very un-song-writing-looking instructor turned up at the studio. He was so casual and started talking about beat-boxing and introduced to the kids some beat-boxing techniques.

Check out Peter's videos. The most amazing thing I thought was that he could beat-box and sing at the same time.



My students enjoyed his workshop so much that they were beat-boxing the whole afternoon and on the bus back to school.

True to what I originally thought, there was a song-writing workshop after lunch. The second half was boring in comparison to beat-boxing. But the students picked up some very handy song-writing skills. Song-writing didn't seem so difficult after that.
At the end of the day, I discovered that my students were not only talented, but very sporting. I would absolutely die if you made me beat-box or sing in front of the class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home