The Sands of Time Wait for No Man

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hsinbyume Paya

We are now at Hsinbyume Paya. If I’m not mistaken, paya = pagoda. From far and under the glaring sun, it looks very clean and white. When you actually go up close to the pagoda, it is very grey and dirty. But nevertheless, it is still a beauty. It was built in memory of the King’s senior wife, Hsinbyume. There are seven wavy terraces around the stupa (centre dome) which represents the seven mountains around Mt Meru. Mt Meru is the mountain that stands at the centre of the universe

I met a cute young monk at the top of the pagoda. He speaks very good English. I would say that he speaks even better English than my students! Too bad I didn’t manage to capture a good photograph of him and his cheery smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home