The Sands of Time Wait for No Man

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Parent Trap

I had not been blogging much this week as my baby is down again.... Maybe it's not used to the weather here in Vietnam! But I asked the staff here and they say it is not necessary to bring it to the 'computer hospital' as they will try to fix it for me.... Besides, I think there is no NEC help centre here in HCMC.

I've also been busy as my parents were in town. But they have left Vietnam this morning after 7 days of shopping, museums visiting and walking around. They had been complaining about the dust, the traffic, the weather and the walking...... My mother even said that I should return to Singapore about working here for 6 months so that my lungs will not get dirty from inhaling all the exhaust fumes..... To pacify her, I bought myself a face mask to wear whenever I am on the streets. So now my full armour when I hit the streets are my hat, the face mask and a pair of gloves. That's what the locals here wear too.... not forgetting tons of sunblock lotion on the face!

I was really happy when my parents came over as they brought lots of my stuff from Singapore and other goodies for me! Among the things they brought over were 'bak kua', peanut butter (yes, there's no peanut butter here), cans of tuna (?!?!?), instant noodles, instant soup and many other yummy stuff.... *drool* Hehe.... my food cupboard is now well stocked! No need to worry when I feel hungry at night! I stayed with them when they were here and I had the luxury of having hot water baths!!! This is something I miss terribly back home.... No matter how much I say I am getting used to the cold water, nothing beats having a hot water bath! My parents have also bought me a heating rod so that I can heat the water before I take my baths everyday! So thoughful!

But during my stay with them, they really drive me nuts..... They can have long discussions over things that are so simple...... Their conversations can go like this:

"Help me operate the safe so that I can put the passports inside."
"No! How can you put the passports in the safe? We must have some form of identification when roaming the streets."
"No need identification. The purpose of the safe is to put the passports! I don't want to carry them.... Very heavy!"
"How heavy can two little red books be? I'll carry them."
"No no.... I don't trust you! You are a 'big head prawn' (Meaning someone who is careless in cantonese)"
"........."

And so the conversation goes on and on about the passports and the weight of the passports and the need for identification in a foreign land..... I just watch all this action from my side of the bed..... And this is only one episode.... My sister must be so glad that she's not travelling with them! Will I be like them too when I grow old? Hmm.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home