The Sands of Time Wait for No Man

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Food Food Food

I have been having so many kinds of strange food lately that I am starting to find it hard to keep track of their names..... Here, Tuan Anh brought me to eat the Vietnamese rice cake which he describes as shaped like a grid.... Well..... All I could say is that it looked every bit like a rice cake roll but nothing liike a grid. The name of this food is Banh Hoi. In the past, when a guy visits a girl's parents to ask for her hand, he would have to bring banh hoi along. The meaning of hoi is to ask. I think the history behind this dish is so interesting! Somehow the banh hoi is more tasty after I got to learn the story behind it!

As usual, this dish is eaten with loads of fresh vegetables (which the locals call salad), pork and fish sauce. They eat everything here with fish sauce.... Fish sauce looks like tea and there was one time Tuan Anh took the wrong bowl and actually drank the fish sauce! I can still remember the look on his face!
On the left is banh hoi, and the second dish tastes like some kind of dim sum.

Another time, we went to this very nice garden restaurant and I had rice noodle with pork kebabs. The pork was so well made that there was actually a layer of fats neatly wrapped inside! I pulled the fats out (naturally!) and passed it over to Tuan Anh....


One other afternoon, we had lunch at this popular restaurant where we actually had to wait for a table. I have not had to wait for a table ever since I came over here.... So that means the food here is really good! I ordered the broken rice with pork (again!) but it wasn't that special.... Just that the rice has been broken into smaller pieces that's all..... But I'm not toothless, so I can easily chew through my rice.... Will not order that next time..... But the dessert or sweet soup (che) that we had after that was good! Just like chendol! Slurp!!!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home