The Sands of Time Wait for No Man

Monday, December 26, 2005

My Vietnamese Family

I was invited for lunch at Tuan Anh's house on Sunday. He lives in a two-and-a-half storey house in a quiet little neighbourhood near my centre. There, I met his mother, uncle, eldest sister-in-law, second brother, two younger sisters, nephew and girlfriend. His oldest brother had to work that day so I guess I would have to meet him another time. (His mother has invited me for New Year's Day lunch next Sunday! We are having beef hot pot!) The older folks cannot speak english but the younger ones can still manage a little. It was such a wholesome feeling having a meal together with his family...... When was the last time I had such a meal with my family?

His girlfriend, just like him, speaks rather good english. His girlfriend's name is My.... Similar to the name he gave me, Tra My. And to think he wants to name his daughter Tra My.... He has such strong affinity with the name My! Tuan Anh pointed out that My was wearing the bracelet that I had helped him choose a few days back..... Looked lovely on her! He's so thoughtful and she's so sweet! They are such a perfect couple together!

After lunch, he told me about his father. His father had passed away 10 years ago.... It's a very sad story. His dad was on a business trip in Hanoi and was visiting the Ho Chi Minh Memorial when he had high blood pressure..... He died on the spot and had no chance to leave any last words with the family. The family had to get over the shock and fly over to Hanoi to bring his body back..... Think it must have been a traumatic experience for Tuan Anh, who was about 13 years old then. He still speaks fondly of his dad.....

Tuan Anh's english name is Henry and it was given by his father. His father had worked in Singapore for a month before and when he returned to the country, he bought Tuan Anh some chocolate bars with the brand Henry. He loved the chocolate so much that his dad named him after the chocolate. But I told him I was not aware of any brands with the name Henry in Singapore.... Could his dad have made a mistake? Like maybe, Hershey's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home