The Sands of Time Wait for No Man

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Em for Brother

Em is for younger brother or sister in Vietnam. Sometimes along the road, the motorcycle taxi uncles will call out "Em em em" to beckon us to take a ride on their bikes. No thanks, I only trust my students and friends on the motorbikes.

My em, Tuan Anh, has now found a good job in an international company. It's a good chance for him to improve his english and spruce up his resume. Not many people get to work in such a big company. I'm so happy to meet him again. He's the sweetest brother I have! Why?

1. He took the effort to call up and check the venues for the water puppet show, and even brought us to watch it. In fact, it was his first time watching it! Unbelievable!

2. He helped me get a cheap local calling card so that I could easily contact all my other Vietnamese friends.

3. He remembers I love corn tea and bought some for me to bring back home, together with seaweed and guava tea.

4. When we went to our favourite restaurant, he ordered my favourite 'che' (sweet soup) without me having to tell him to do so.

5. He stopped by the road to buy one of my favourite snacks for me. Not once, but twice! When he asked me to eat it quickly before it turned cold, I forced myself to eat some even though it was just after our dinner and I was on the verge of puking. But you know how it is like 吃在口里,甜在心里 or loosely translated as "eat in the mouth, but tastes sweet in the heart"?

Oh, brother!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home